Arrive in Verona airport and drive to our hotel in Boario Terme.
Spend the day in the National Park at Val Camonica exploring rock art sites at Naquane Park. After a picnic lunch, more rock-art exploring and visit the recontructed houses at Foppa di Nadro. Romanesque Church of San Siro, Capo di Ponte.
Val Camonica: rock art sites in the archaeological park of Serdina-Bedolini. If time, visit the church of the monastery of San Salvatore above Capo di Ponte. Rock art sites at Massi di Cemmo, and visit the Museum of Prehistoric Art and Life.
Morning in Ledro on the scenic shores of a mountain lake, where waterlogged remains of Bronze Age lake dwellings have been found, some of which have been reconstructed. Images of possible prehistoric houses carved in the rocks at Val Camonica may represent settlements such as these. The remarkable finds excavated from the lake village include bread baked by being moulded around heated stones. Some examples have survived uneaten. Continue to Riva del Garda, to La Rocca Museum, where the exhibits include Copper Age statue menhirs. Free time to explore our next base, Trento, with a possible visit to Gardolo di Mezzo, a recently discovered Neolithic and Bronze Age site.
Drive north, further into the Alps to Bolzano Museum, to visit the Ice Man, with the intriguing exhibition of the scientific story which unravelled (and continues to unravel) the tiniest details of his life during the Copper Age, 5000 years ago. The original artefacts are very well displayed, along with excellent reconstructions, and are irresistibly fascinating to anyone with an interest in prehistory. Had it not been for the exceptional circumstances of where he died - his body was first dessicated by the freezing wind, then preserved by being enclosed in ice - he would have been represented by bones, and stone and metal tools and weapons - a common prehistoric assemblage. In the event, the richly crafted and resourceful range of the possessions he had with him on his journey through the mountains has miraculously survived to inform us of how these early people lived. It includes a birch-bark box for carrying the embers of his fire; anti-biotic fungus as part of a portable medical kit; elegantly stitched (and more roughly mended) leather clothing, a dried grass cloak and insulated walking shoes. His body has yielded information not only on the pathology of his death, but on his diet, parasitic infestation, and body decoration: the tattoos on his back and legs are thought to indicate acupuncture points. Continue to Archeoparc Senales, which reconstructs life in prehistory, with an optional cable car ride to the Ötzi Gallery and an opportunity for a walk through the spectacular scenery.
Drive to Verona for flight home.
- Flights -Scheduled flights from London to Verona
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach.
- Guide Lecturer - Dr Tertia Barnett. Not to be confused with "guest lecturers"! The guide lecturer will be with you from breakfast to supper, and probably even a drink in the bar afterwards. There is the occasional site where they may not be allowed to guide because of local regulations but otherwise the guides are just that.·They will have been chosen because of specialist knowledge and their ability to communicate and interest you. After 29 years of making tours worldwide, we are highly appreciative of the attributes of a good guide, and intensely critical of people who do not possess them
- Tour Manager - Elaine Rowlands (Jun 13). We never know how best to call the very special people whom we choose to accompany you on your tour. They are usually employed in this capacity only by us, and have been trained to do things in the Andante way - unobtrusive, friendly and quietly efficient.
- Meals - All meals included (dinners with wine & water) except lunch days 1, 4 & 6 and dinner day 4
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in programme; tips included
- Field Notes
3 nights in an attractive older hotel, situated near the spa in Boario Terme;
2 nights in a pleasant older hotel in the centre of Trento.
|Sat 8th - Thu 13th Jun 2013 with Tertia Barnett
||Singles: On Request
||Twin/Doubles: Last one