Garsington Opera takes place at the Wormsley Estate in the peaceful surrounding of the Chiltern Hills. The festival was founded back in 1989 by Leonard Ingrams and his wife Rosalind at Garsington Manor. After Leonard’s death, the festival was moved to its current location in 2011.
With a selection of two operas, the festival presents a mixture of well-known as well as rarely performed or new works, and it engages renowned performers along with singers who are making their debut.
This short break will include two opera performances as well as the opportunity to see what goes on behind-the-scenes. There will also be the chance to enjoy a personal encounter with a member or two of the talented cast. You will be hosted by an opera expert who will offer insights into the operas you enjoy.
- Pay a visit to Hughenden Manor, the country house of former Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli
- Go behind the scenes and discover what it takes to put a stage performance together
- Meet a member of the performing cast during a specially arranged personal encounter on the second evening
- Tickets to two opera performances, namely The Bartered Bride and Don Giovanni
We meet our guide at the hotel for a welcome drink. After, there will be an opportunity to meet some of the people who make the festival happen. They will give us an idea of what is involved in putting an event like this together. Before our opera this evening, The Bartered Bride, our guide will give us a talk on the music and composer, Smetana. Dinner will take place during the interval.
Performance: The Bartered Bride
Hotel: The Mercure Thame Lambert
Meals: Dinner included
This morning we depart for a visit to Hughenden Manor, the former home of Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli in the 19th century. After an independent lunch, we return to our hotel to meet a member of the cast and then later we enjoy a performance of Mozart’s Don Giovanni.
Performance: Don Giovanni
Hotel: The Mercure Thame Lambert
Meals: Breakfast & dinner included
After breakfast, the tour ends and we return home.
Meals: Breakfast included
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in program; tips included
- Meals - Most meals included with wine at dinner
- Opera Tickets - Entry to all performances in the program. We request the seats in the centre stalls as these offer the best view although seats in boxes are usually more expensive. There is no guarantee that we will get the seats requested as availability is often limited. Where it is possible to avoid boxes as an alternative we will, but in some cases it may be the only option.
Allow yourself to be transported in a celebration of musical prestige as the rhythms of these cities pulse through your veins. These specially selected tours explore the rich sounds of New York the capital of artistic variety, the magic of opera in Italy and a celebration of creative spirits at the Puccini Festival. Indulge all your senses in the stunning scenery and sounds of the unrivalled Opera house in Milan and explore the royal palaces of Bavaria. We have special access to go behind the stage door and find the secrets of staging world-class theatrical productions and you'll get the chance to get up close to the show-stealing costumes.
The show-stopper of our spectacular opera holidays – be treated to world-renowned performances of music or dance, guaranteed with secured tickets for our guests.
Live and breathe the sounds of these cities & browse the full range of music and dance tours below.