Latium - the Roman Rich
The picturesque hills and plains were an ideal retreat for the great and good of Imperial Rome, who came to escape the oppressive summer heat of the Eternal City. Emperor Hadrian himself built a villa complex here in the beautiful setting of Tivoli - his opulent and extravagant creation is one of the ‘blockbuster’ sites you’ll see on this tour.
While visitors often come to see the justly famous Roman ruins at Ostia and Tivoli, it is often the smaller, lesser-known places which enchant them; such as the acres of landscaped botanical gardens at Ninfa, or the dining room of the reclusive emperor Tiberius in a cave at Sperlonga, and Alba Fucens, a hidden gem in the Apennine mountains.
- A holiday fit for a senator! Opulent Imperial villas, secluded hills and an ancient superhighway (the Via Appia)
- Sprawling and extravagant villas at Tivoli and Sperlonga, built by Hadrian and Tiberius as a retreat from the politics and pressures of Rome
- Rome’s fertile hinterland, from the coast to the foothills of the Apennines and the famous gardens at Ninfa
- Special Access
- Expert Guide Lecturer
- Tour Manager
- Local Travel - Private a/c coach
- Meals - Most meals included - dinners with wine
- Entries & Tips - Entry to all sites in program; tips included
- Field Notes
- Hotels - 3 nights in a hotel which is made up of four restored buildings; a villa built in 1912, a convent dating from the 1930s, the nuns’ residence and the remains of a Roman villa. This hotel also has a swimming pool and a bar, 4 nights stay in a modern 4 star hotel which is set back from the main road with a private garden
3 nights in a hotel which is made up of four restored buildings; a villa built in 1912, a convent dating from the 1930s, the nuns’ residence and the remains of a Roman villa. This hotel also has a swimming pool and a bar
4 nights stay in a modern 4 star hotel which is set back from the main road with a private garden
Joining the Tour
There are a few options for joining the tour and we’ll be happy to help or book your international flights for you*
- You can choose to join the group flights departing from London (connecting flights & transfers available).
- You can choose to book your flight directly to your final destination. You can either meet the group flight at the airport arrivals hall or the hotel (transfers available).
- You can book your flights on your own, all we ask that you forward your flight details to us as soon as possible after booking.
For further information just call our US office on 888-331-3476. (*Additional cost applies.)
Andante Travels is an Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC) accredited travel provider. We have highly trained staff who can book flights at excellent rates from airports across the USA, all booked with the knowledge, expertise and trusted backing of ARC air travel intelligence services.
Passport & Visa Information
For full information about Passport validity and Visa requirements as well as Health and Vaccination information please click here.
Many of our tours can be linked together to form longer programmes. We are happy to arrange connecting flights and hotels, allowing you to spend as long as you wish exploring the ancient world... See suggestions below: