Mexico - The Maya
Of all Mesoamerican civilisations, the Maya have enjoyed the most enduring hold on the popular imagination. For a long time, their jungle-clad ruins remained intriguing, yet shrouded by mystery. However, recent progress in the decipherment of Maya writing has unlocked many of their secrets, revealing a society as complex and fascinating as their art, and architecture had previously suggested.
This is one of Andante’s most adventurous trips, starting with the superb museums of Mexico City, travelling via the uplands of Chiapas, along the great river of Usumacinta, before driving up the Yucatan peninsular. This is a thrilling journey through the rich and colourful landscapes of Mexico.
departures:Select Your Departure Date
What to Expect
- View the Aztec Templo Mayor
- Encounter enduring Maya traditions among the Chiapas communities
- Discover Palenque, which is considered by many as the most beautiful of all the Maya cities
- Travel in 4x4s and then by motor launch boat to reach the remote site of Yaxchilán, famous for its remarkable architecture
- Explore the ball court, observatory, sacred well, and the great pyramid of Kukulcan at the awe-inspiring city of Chichén Itzá